Recipe by ChrisMc
Gelato is an Italian form of ice cream with very little air beaten in, which makes it extremely rich. This recipe requires an ice cream maker.
Top Review by Invisible Chef
A fantastic, rich gelato, easy to make with a little patience. I melted in 1oz of semisweet chocolate after straining the coffee. Served with ganache, this would please anyone.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup coffee beans, finely ground
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- whipped cream (to garnish) (optional)
- chocolate-covered coffee beans (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and ground coffee in a medium saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the milk from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes (you can also refrigerate it overnight).
- Strain the milk through a fine-meshed strainer.
- Heat until bubbling, then cover to keep hot and remove from heat.
- Blend sugar and egg yolks in a blender or food processor until thick and smooth.
- Gradually add the hot milk until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens and will coat the back of a spoon (about 6-8 minutes; be sure to stir constantly).
- Remove the pan from heat and place in a bowl of ice water; stir until mixture is cool (about 2 minutes).
- Cover and refrigerate until the mixture is completely cool (probably at least 2 hours).
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold into cooled custard mixture.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker; for a silky texture, you should use less salt and a slower churning speed (fast, cold churning can make a gelato coarse).
- Serve with whipped cream and chocolate-covered coffee beans for garnish.