Roosevelt Mommy's Note:
I wanted to keep this recipe safe, where my three toddlers couldn't write all over it. This is extremely time consuming, but well worth all of your efforts. You can find all these ingredients at Walmart. If you have never cooked with tomatillos before try to pick ones that have the "paper wrapper" still attached. Remove this wrapper once home and throughly rinse the tomatillo. They usually are a little sticky, this is normal. Cut out the top of the tomatillo like you would a tomato. I hope you enjoy these recipes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken, fat trimmed
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup green enchilada sauce
CILANTRO LIME RICE
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/8 cup diced green chilis
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package hidden valley buttermilk salad dressing mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tomatillos
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped, seeds removed
TOPPINGS or FILLINGS
- 1FOR THE CHICKEN:.
- 2Add all ingredients to a crockpot and cook on high 3 hours.
- 3Shred chicken with two forks and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- 4FOR THE RICE:.
- 5Bring the water to a boil.
- 6Add rice, bouillon, salt, lime juice, and cilantro. Cover.
- 7Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 9FOR THE BEANS:.
- 10Add all ingredients to a pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 11FOR THE SALSA FRESCA:.
- 12Finely chop the tomatoes and onion.
- 13Add the cilantro and lime juice and toss to evenly coat.
- 14FOR THE TORTILLAS:.
- 15Combine tortilla mix and water.
- 16Let rest, covered with a damp towel, at room temp for 15 minute.
- 17Heat a cast iron skillet to 400 degrees or medium heat.
- 18Roll out tortillas as thin as you can get them.
- 19Heat until bubbles form and the tortilla looks dry.
- 20Turn. The tortillas should have golden brown spots on each side when they are done.
- 21FOR THE TOMATILLO DRESSING:.
- 22Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until well combined.
- 23TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:.
- 24Line a large bowl with one of the tortillas. Top in layers with rice, beans, chicken, lettuce, salsa fresca, queso, tortilla strips, and the dressing.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cafe Rio Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.6
- Calories from Fat 381
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 115.2 mg
- Sodium 896.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 40.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian salad dressing mix
salad dressing mix