Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
I wanted to keep this recipe safe, where my three toddlers couldn't write all over it. This is extremely time consuming, but well worth all of your efforts. You can find all these ingredients at Walmart. If you have never cooked with tomatillos before try to pick ones that have the "paper wrapper" still attached. Remove this wrapper once home and throughly rinse the tomatillo. They usually are a little sticky, this is normal. Cut out the top of the tomatillo like you would a tomato. I hope you enjoy these recipes!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, fat trimmed
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup green enchilada sauce
CILANTRO LIME RICE
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1⁄8 cup diced green chilis
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 cups flour tortilla mix
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 (1/2 ounce) packagehidden valley buttermilk salad dressing mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tomatillos
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely chopped, seeds removed
TOPPINGS or FILLINGS
- queso fresco
- corn tortilla strips
- FOR THE CHICKEN:.
- Add all ingredients to a crockpot and cook on high 3 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- FOR THE RICE:.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add rice, bouillon, salt, lime juice, and cilantro. Cover.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- FOR THE BEANS:.
- Add all ingredients to a pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE SALSA FRESCA:.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and onion.
- Add the cilantro and lime juice and toss to evenly coat.
- FOR THE TORTILLAS:.
- Combine tortilla mix and water.
- Let rest, covered with a damp towel, at room temp for 15 minute.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to 400 degrees or medium heat.
- Roll out tortillas as thin as you can get them.
- Heat until bubbles form and the tortilla looks dry.
- Turn. The tortillas should have golden brown spots on each side when they are done.
- FOR THE TOMATILLO DRESSING:.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until well combined.
- TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:.
- Line a large bowl with one of the tortillas. Top in layers with rice, beans, chicken, lettuce, salsa fresca, queso, tortilla strips, and the dressing.