Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 8 cups water, cold
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 ounce baking chocolate, fine chop
- 2 cloves, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in 1/2
- 1 cup coffee, regular grind, dry
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 8 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- Heat water, brown sugar, chocolate, cloves, and cinnamon to boiling in 3-quart saucepan; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in coffee.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Strain coffee through 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth.
- CAFE DIABLO: Cafe Mexicano Prepare Cafe Mexicano; keep hot in saucepan after straining.
- Heat brandy just until warm in small, long-handled saucepan.
- Remove from heat; ignite.
- Pour flaming brandy over coffee.
- Allow flame to burn out; stir.
- Pour coffee into cups or mugs.
- Top each with whipped cream and 1 T liqueur.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick, if desired.