Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
from People Magazine
- 8 ounces chicken cutlets, cut in half
- 3 -4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 16 ounces fresh spinach
- 4 ounces white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- fresh basil leaf
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Worcestershire sauce (couple dashes)
- 8 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 -4 slices provolone cheese
- Pound the chicken thin (or have butcher do it).
- In a mixing bowl, make an egg wash of the eggs seasoned with salt, pepper, a tbsp of of Paremesan cheese and parsley mixed well.
- Coat the cutlets in the egg wash then in flour and bread crumbs. Saute the cutlets in butter until golden brown, then place in a 350 degrees oven to finish.
- In another pan, saute the olive oil and garlic. Add the spinch, season with salt and pepper and throw in the mushrooms. Cook through then transfer to a bowl and let it cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees.
- Put the ricotta in a strainer to drain, then mix with the cooled spinach mixture, Worcestershire Sauce and the rest of the Paremesan cheese. Take the chicken pan out of the oven and spoon a layer of spinach-and-cheese mixture on top of each piece. Add 2-3 slices of fresh tomato and season with salt, pepper and basil and top with 2 slices of provolone. Bake at 300 degrees until the cheese mixture is hot.
- Warm the marinara sauce and spoon onto plate. Place the chicken cutlet on top and finish with olive oil and fresh basil.
Although I found the measurements out of whack for us I still rated this recipe a 5 star, cause with the adjusted portions it turned out great & tasted amazing. For 4 servings we used 1.25 lb chicken, .25 of flour & breadcrumbs. Filling we used 4 oz of spinach, mushrooms & cottage cheese. When everything came together is tasted great, kinda like a chicken parmesan (but abit healthier with the different cheese(s) & vegys). We really enjoyed this recipe & it was pretty easy to put together... we will definately make it again, thanks for sharing.