2 hrs 30 mins
My friend/co-worker Pat makes the best desserts. When she brought this cake to work we all begged for the recipe! It is worthy of company. She accredits it to the Cafe Latte in St. Paul, Minnesota as shared in Midwest Living magazine. (Cooking time reflects chilling time).
My Private Note
layer c ...
Units: US | Metric
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour (I use unbleached)
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed coffee, hot
- 2 teaspoons brewed coffee, hot
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 3/4 cup caramel topping
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease three 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3Line the bottom of each with parchment paper.
- 4Grease the paper.
- 5Dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 6In a small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and oil; set aside.
- 7In a large bowl, sift together flour, 1 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- 8Gradually add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, beating with an electric mixer until combined.
- 9Gradually beat in 1 cup hot brewed coffee.
- 10Pour batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. (Layers will appear shallow).
- 11Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- 12Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- 13Loosen sides from pans, invert cakes on racks.
- 14Remove cakes from pans.
- 15Peel off paper; cool thoroughly.
- 16When cool, prepare the frosting.
- 17In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk.
- 18Add 6 Tablespoons butter.
- 19Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
- 20Remove from heat.
- 21Add 12 semi-sweet chocolate pieces.
- 22Whisk until smooth.
- 23If frosting seems to thick or grainy, stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly brewed hot coffee.
- 24(Frosting makes about 2 1/2 cups).
- 25Place 1 cake layer, top-side DOWN, onto a serving plate.
- 26Using an icing spatula or wide knife, work quickly to frost top of this layer with 1/3 of the frosting, pushing it out slightly from edges to make ripple or pedal effect.
- 27Arrange 1/3 of the pecans on top and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the caramel topping.
- 28Top with the second layer, top-side DOWN.
- 29Repeat the above frosting steps with 1/3 of the frosting, pecans and caramel topping.
- 30Top with the third layer, right side UP.
- 31Repeat with frosting, pecans and caramel topping.
- 32Chill cake 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cafe Latte's Turtle Cake
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.4
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.1 mg
- Sodium 654.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 62.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g