Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Have your cake and coffee - without the cup.You could lighten this up by using Splenda for baking to replace the sugar & low fat whipped topping instead of the whipped cream.
- 3 tablespoons freeze dried instant coffee crystals
- 1 (6 ounce) container low-fat yogurt, coffee flavored
- 1 teaspoon water (more or less)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350º F. Coat (3) 8-inch round baking pans with cooking spray then lightly dust with flour. (Or use this excellent baking pan release recipe #78579).
- Blend instant coffee with yogurt then add water, a few drops at a time, until coffee dissolves. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in remaining 1 cup sugar until light in color, about 2 minutes.
- On low speed, beat flour mixture, alternating with yogurt, into the butter and sugar.
- Fold in half the egg whites to lighten then fold in remaining egg whites.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pans, spreading level.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool in pans for 10 minutes then invert onto a rack and cool completely.
- Whip cream and confectioners' sugar to stiff peaks.
- Once cakes have cooled, place 1 layer on a plate and spread with 3/4 cup whipped cream. Top with 2nd layer and another 3/4 cup whipped cream. Top with final layer & swirl remaining whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with more ground nutmeg, if desired. Refrigerate until serving time.