Recipe by Izzy Knight
My friend Steve's New Orlean specialty; it has become a party must. Thanks Steve for sharing this authentic treat!
- 15 sugar cubes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 orange, rind of
- 1 cup brandy
- 6 cups hot coffee (, preferably New Orleans chicory-coffee blend)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a silver punch bowl, combine the sugar cubes, cinnamon, cloves, citrus peels and 3/4 cup brandy.
- Fill a metal ladle with 1/4 cup heated (not boiling) brandy, ignite, and lower into the bowl.
- Ladle the flaming mixture over itself until the sugar melts and the flames die down.
- S lowly pour the coffee into the bowl.
- Strain into demitasse cups.