Recipe by COOKGIRl
Clipped out of our local newspaper. Use a fun shaped pasta, such as rotelli, fusilli, farfelle, etc. The coddled egg in the original recipe was replaced with hard boiled eggs for safety reasons; the olive oil reduced by 1/4 cup.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 1 anchovy fillet, chopped small
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (mashed or sliced)
- 4 cups cooked pasta, drained and chilled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly shaved
- 4 cups romaine lettuce hearts
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onions or 1⁄2 cup diced walla walla onion
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1 cup homemade crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the hard boiled eggs and set aside to cool. Once cooled, shell and mash (or slice).
- Dressing: In a non-reactive bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce. Whisk until blended. Stir in the anchovy paste or fillet. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Salad: Place the cooked pasta in a mixing bowl and toss with a generous amount of the dressing. Next add the parmesan, egg, onion, cucumber, basil leaves and bell pepper.
- Cover mixing bowl and chill salad for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving arrange the romaine lettuce leaves and croutons around the edges of a large platter.
- Pile the chilled salad in the center. Give the top of the salad a quick sprinkle of cracked black pepper. Serve any remaining dressing on the side.