Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in Bon Appetit several years ago. The biggest challenge is resisting the temptation to eat all of the croutons before you make the salad! They are very crunchy and very good.
Salad and Dressing
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml grated lemon peel
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0.13 ml hot pepper sauce (such as tabasco)
- 2 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 158.51 ml grated parmesan cheese
Onion bagel croutons
- 44.37 ml melted butter
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 onion bagels, each cut into 2 semicircles
- For Croutons:.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine melted butter with olive oil and minced garlic in a large bowl.
- Slice bagels into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Place in bowl with butter mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread coated bagel pieces on cookie sheet.
- Bake until crisp and browned, about 30 minutes.
- For salad and dressing:.
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine lettuce, parmesan and croutons in a large bowl.
- Add dressing, toss well and serve.
Delicious salad, and like other reviewers, we especially love those croutons! I used a vegan worcestershire sauce, dairy free margarine, and omitted the parmesan cheese to keep it vegan. I omitted the hot sauce and reduced the red wine vinegar for personal preference. The result was a big hit, and makes a great choice for entertaining. Thanks!
The onion bagel croutons are to die for! Will definitely be making them again. The dressing, however, was just okay.
I cut the dressing recipe in half, used 1/2 of a bagel (ate the other half for breakfast), and made 1 salad for my lunch. I added 1/2 cup chopped turkey left from Super Easy Crock Pot Turkey Breast #206176. I plan to make another tomorrow for lunch with the leftover dressing. Very tasty salad and the croutons were excellent. Made for Holiday Tag. Thanks for sharing Pattikay!