I found this recipe in Bon Appetit several years ago. The biggest challenge is resisting the temptation to eat all of the croutons before you make the salad! They are very crunchy and very good.
Salad and Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce (such as tabasco)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Onion bagel croutons
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 onion bagels, each cut into 2 semicircles
- For Croutons:.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine melted butter with olive oil and minced garlic in a large bowl.
- Slice bagels into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Place in bowl with butter mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread coated bagel pieces on cookie sheet.
- Bake until crisp and browned, about 30 minutes.
- For salad and dressing:.
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine lettuce, parmesan and croutons in a large bowl.
- Add dressing, toss well and serve.