Recipe by Hayley_11
This is my Dad's Caesar salad recipe and i absolutely love it! It's really fresh and light, as opposed to some of those really gluggy, heavily dressed Caesar salads i've encountered at stodgy cafes! Most parts of the salad can be prepared ahead of time, such as the croutons, dressing and the eggs, add then tossed altogether before serving. Enjoy!
- 2 anchovy fillets, oil reserved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons oil (olive oil, or a mixture of olive oil and the reserved anchovy oil can be used)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 thick slices bread, crusts removed
- 20 g butter (more or less if needed)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 500 g chicken, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 cos lettuce, leaves separated, washed, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make the dressing, use a mortar and pestle to combine the anchovy fillets, lemon juice, oil and Worcestershire sauce.
- For the croutons, butter both sides of bread and spread with minced garlic. Cut into 1.5cm cubes and place on a line baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden a toasted.
- In a small saucepan of boiling water add the eggs and boil for 2 minutes, or use your own tried and true method to produce a semi-soft boiled egg (you want the yolk to still be slightly runny). Remove and allow to cool.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a fry-pan. Add the chicken and bacon and fry until the chicken has cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- When the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and chop into small pieces.
- Combine the lettuce, croutons, chicken, bacon, egg, extra anchovies and parmesan. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.