My family thinks this is the best Caesar Salad they have ever eaten. I've served it many times at various functions and have been asked for the recipe more times than I can say.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 dry mustard
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 anchovies, drained and chopped (optional)
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare lettuce by washing and drying thoroughly.
- Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, place in a plastic bag and refrigerate for several hours.
- Mix olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and anchovies in a jar, shake vigorously and refrigerate.
- Shake often while refrigerating.
- Just before serving, put the lettuce and croutons in a large bowl, shake the dressing and pour over the lettuce, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and toss until all leaves are coated.
- Make a well in the center of the lettuce.
- Place the egg yolks in the well and top with the lemon juice.
- Toss, toss, toss and toss some more.
- Add more parmesan if desired (I like lots).
- One secret to a good Caesar Salad is in the tossing.
I have made this recipe before and posted it to the site- then realized that yours was already here! So. I'll post my review to this recipe! It is sooo good- the homemade bread crumbs and the dressing? Definitely SUPREME! A great summer salad. Prepackaged salad veggies really speed up the prep time! Wonderful! I will make this a lot this summer!