1/1 Photo of Caesar Salad-No Anchovies, No Eggs
Ok, so without the eggs & the anchovies it might not be considered a "true" Caesar salad. But, this is still a really good Caesar-like salad and will please those picky eaters in your family who want Caesar salad, but won't go near it if you include the raw eggs and/or the anchovies. I can hear the purists groaning already, but you can also use the cheese in the "green can" in this if you don't have any fresh Parmesan lying around- it still tastes good either way, although it is best with Parmigiano-Reggiano. NOTE: There are anchovy free versions of Worcestershire Sauce commonly available.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, torn into bite sized pieces (enough to fill a large salad bowl)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated, more to taste
- 1 cup crouton, to taste (purchased or homemade)
- 1Set lettuce into a large serving bowl.
- 2Place dressing ingredients into a blender (yes all at once), put the lid on your blender, and blend until smooth.
- 3Pour some of the dressing over lettuce, as much or as little as you prefer, and toss well to coat leaves with dressing; I tend to use less and have extra to save for another salad later in the week.
- 4Set one clean hand over your salad bowl and squeeze the lemon half over it- letting the juice drip through your fingers, but catching the pits (discard pits).
- 5Grind some black pepper over the salad to taste.
- 6Add Parmesan cheese and stir to coat.
- 7Taste for seasonings, adding a little more salt, pepper, or cheese if desired.
- 8When the seasonings are correct, add the croutons to the top, give a quick stir, and serve immediately.
- 9This does not keep well- if you need to make in advance, prepare the salad dressing alone and then toss everything together just before serving.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caesar Salad-No Anchovies, No Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.9
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 233.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g