Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a Good Housekeeping healthy makeover recipe. If you enjoy caesar salad and want to keep the great taste without all the calories, this is the recipe for you. Enjoy.
- 4 ounces Italian bread
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 (18 ounce) package romaine lettuce hearts, torn into bite-size pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bread into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Rub bread slices, on both sides, with cut sides of garlic. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes; place in jelly-roll pan. Spray bread liberally with olive oil cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes or until golden-brown and crisp. Cool croutons in pan.
- Meanwhile, in large salad bowl, with wire whisk, mix together mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, anchovy paste, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add lettuce and croutons to dressing in bowl; toss to coat.