Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
The perfect Caesar dressing.
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (one small lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves discarded, inner leaves washed and dried (ten-ounce heads)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese
- crouton (to garnish)
- In a large wooden bowl, using a wooden spoon, mash chopped garlic cloves to a fine paste with salt.
- Stir in egg yolks and Dijon mustard.
- Add anchovies, and grind to a paste.
- Add lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce and season with pepper.
- Slowly whisk in olive/canola oil until dressing is creamy.
- Add lettuce to bowl, and toss to coat leaves thoroughly with dressing and grated Parmesan.
- Sprinkle croutons over salad.
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! Never had anything better. Definatley chill it for a couple hours first. I omitted the olive oil since I was going for low fat and used a mixture of cornstarch & 1 can of low sodium chicken broth instead (makes it taste like a full calorie dressing. Not even my husband could tell and he's finickier than my friends 3 year old which is saying ALOT) also after reading about the strong mustard taste I decided to use 2 teaspoons of Dijon Mustard and it turned out amazing. My neighbor acutally wanted to know where I bought it!
Excellent flavor, but VERY salty. You could easily cut the salt in half and still be just fine especially considering the salt in the anchovies, mustard, and Parmesan. I'll make it again, but cut salt in half.
This dressing is amazing will not use anything else