Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my version of the Caesar salad I was taught to make tableside at The Barrister Restaurant in Pomona CA close to 40 years ago. This is a little more tart than some Caesars and has a little more garlic and anchovy than some, but that is what gives it delightful flavor.
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs (raw or lightly coddled, 1 minute)
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn to pieces, drained
- crouton, preferably homemade, with garlic and parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- **Note: If salmonella is a problem in your area, use pasteurized eggs, available at some supermarkets, or use equivalent amount of egg substitute.
- During close to 40 years of eating this and other raw egg products, however, I have NEVER suffered through a bout of salmonella.
- Thoroughly mash anchovies and garlic with a little salt.
- Mix in next 6 ingredients.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil and 1 cup cheese.
- Toss with lettuce and croutons.
- Add additional cheese and black pepper if desired and toss again.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad can be made tableside, or the dressing ingredients can be mixed by hand in a bowl or in a blender or food processor and just tossed with the salad ingredients and more cheese at the last minute.
- If desired, cut back a little on the anchovy, but do not omit entirely; it is needed to provide a little pungency.
- The sald is totally insipid without it!
Really easy and delicious ceasar recipe. Only changes, -- just personal preference, I used 1 T Dijon and 1 T Vinegar, about 1/3 the parm.. ( but it was freshly grated parmagiano reggiano, so i think still had all the flavor it needed.) THanks so much for sharing...this will be my go-to Ceasar dressing recipe!
This recipe resembles one I have always used but was easier and just as good! My recipe called for one egg white and didn't include the dash of hot pepper sauce. I think I have a new favorite recipe, thanks.
this is a classic delious Ceasar Salad. Make it how the directions say and it will tast great. My girlfriend hates anchoives so I tell her that there are non in there and she can't tell but loves the dressing! Excellent!