Toby Jermain's Note:
This is my version of the Caesar salad I was taught to make tableside at The Barrister Restaurant in Pomona CA close to 40 years ago. This is a little more tart than some Caesars and has a little more garlic and anchovy than some, but that is what gives it delightful flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs (raw or lightly coddled, 1 minute)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn to pieces, drained
- crouton, preferably homemade, with garlic and parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1**Note: If salmonella is a problem in your area, use pasteurized eggs, available at some supermarkets, or use equivalent amount of egg substitute.
- 2During close to 40 years of eating this and other raw egg products, however, I have NEVER suffered through a bout of salmonella.
- 3Thoroughly mash anchovies and garlic with a little salt.
- 4Mix in next 6 ingredients.
- 5Slowly whisk in olive oil and 1 cup cheese.
- 6Toss with lettuce and croutons.
- 7Add additional cheese and black pepper if desired and toss again.
- 8Serve immediately.
- 9This salad can be made tableside, or the dressing ingredients can be mixed by hand in a bowl or in a blender or food processor and just tossed with the salad ingredients and more cheese at the last minute.
- 10If desired, cut back a little on the anchovy, but do not omit entirely; it is needed to provide a little pungency.
- 11The sald is totally insipid without it!
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caesar Salad
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 672.8
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 149.0 mg
- Sodium 1357.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 28.6 g