Recipe by Dave Newcombe1
Here's the best one I've found. I found the recipe in the guest newsletter of the Elora Mill Inn, Elora, ON, CA. I've been making it for years and everyone likes it.
Top Review by Dubainy
Very good. Next time I will reverse the amounts of lemon juice and vinegar as I prefer more lemon taste and a lighter color. I used 1 T of egg substitute and blended with a sitck blender and it came out perfectly creamy.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 egg yolks (coddled if desired)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- to taste salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the salad you will need 1 head Romaine lettuce, freshly grated Parmesan cheese (to taste), home made croutons, bacon bits (optional: home made are best), and lemon wedges.
- Make the dressing: Mix the pepper, garlic & egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil so the mixture thickens a bit. Add Tabasco, mustard, Worcestershire, vinegar & lemon juice. Whisk well. Salt to taste.
- The dressing will keep in refrigerator for a little while if tightly covered with Saran Wrap.
- The eggs will cause a skin to form eventually. If this happens, strain the dressing or whisk well before use.
- Wash lettuce. Discard any damaged leaves.
- Tear the good leaves into bite size pieces.
- Put into salad bowl.
- Add some dressing & toss to coat. Add Parmesan, croutons & bacon bits.
- Toss well to coat. If too dry, add more dressing.
- Serve immediately.
- Offer lemon wedges & more Parmesan.
- Accept praise gracefully.
- It barely makes enough dressing for one head of lettuce. If it turns out too dry, just use less lettuce next time.
- Tell your guests if they really want to ruin this great salad they can bring their OWN anchovies
- If it's too garlicky, strain the garlic solids out of the dressing before you serve [but CAN a dish be too garlicky?].
- If you want extra zing, use 2 - 3 dashes of Tabasco [be careful, a little bit goes a long way!].