Recipe by ellie_
You can add shredded chicken to this for a main dish salad. Note: the original recipe uses raw egg yolks, I prefer to use egg beaters (for safety reasons), but it probably isn't authentic Caesar Salad that way - the choice is yours. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
Top Review by puppitypup
Loved it! Completely authentic taste, even without the anchovies which I wasn't brave enough to add. I used white wine vinegar. The croutons were to-die-for. Thanks for a real keeper Ellie!
For the salad
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 cups day-old French bread, cut into 3/4 - inch cubes
- 6 heads romaine lettuce
- 8 egg yolks (or egg beaters)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup anchovy
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make croutons, in a blender puree garlic with the butter and olive oil and then put in saucepan and heat until just below a simmer. Toss with bread cubes and bake in a 350°F oven until browned (5 - 10 minutes).
- To make salad: Separate lettuce leaves (using only the inner leaves).
- In a large salad bowl combine egg yolks (or egg beaters) with dressing (recipe follows).
- Add lettuce and half the Parmesan and croutons and chicken (see note above if using); toss.
- Arrange salad on individual plates, sprinkling with remaining cheese and pepper.
- To make dressing: In a food processor or blender blend together the oil and garlic. Strain to press out solids and discard garlic. Pour in jar. Cut the anchovies finely. Add anchovies and the remaining dressing ingredients to oil/garlic mixture. Shake jar to combine.