Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make-kids big or small love it. Nose friendly anchovy paste method. I am asked to bring this salad to every function
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice (This amount has been reduced effective Nov5/08 due to reviews. Thanks everyone)
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 2 -3 inches anchovy paste (right from the tube)
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil (fresher the better)
- fresh ground pepper
- clean and torn romaine leaf
- crispy bacon bits
- In a blender, whiz up first 6 ingredients then slowly drizzle olive oil in while blender is still running to make a creamy emulsion.
- Some people like to add an egg yolk at this time, but that is up to you.
- Chill dressing in blender carafe for at least 20 minutes to 1 hour. Whiz up to mix again and taste and make any adjustments.
- Assemble torn lettuce and coutons and bacon in very large bowl.
- Then adding dressing a bit at a time and tossing until coated.
- Present with a little more cheese and pepper if desired.
- my secret touch: I cube and toast any left over bread like sourdough, pumpernickle, italian - about 1 inch cubes.
- I put in the oven and toast on a cookie sheet.
- After I fry my bacon bits,, I reserve a tablespoon of bacon drippings in the frypan and add another tablespoon or so of butter and a little seasoning salt.
- I toss the toasted bread cubes in the yummy drippings, right in the same pan as the bacon was made in and let cool a bit before tossing on salad -- these are buttery and yummy.
- This step can be made ahead. sinfull.
- Your heart will thank you lol.
We really enjoyed this Caesar Salad! It reminded me a lot of the one we get from a local restaurant that we love. I added some chicken to it, and didn't have any croutons. I also used prosciutto instead of bacon, and added more garlic. We will definitely make this one again! Oh I also put olives into it.
Very good recipe, my dinner guests loved it and my husband has requested it for dinner again this week.
This was too lemony for my taste. I ended up adjusting the ingredients to make it really delicious, but as written, I didn't feel like the ingredients were in the right proportion.