A recipe by Jay's Mestena as presented in Texas Monthly in response to a recipe request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 prickly pears, dethorned if necessary,peeled,yielding 1 1/4 cup of puree (tunas, the fruit of the cactus)
- 1 (8 ounce) box tempura mix (some will be left over)
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste
- 1/2 lb large shrimp or 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1Pulse tunas (cactus fruit) briefly in a food processor or blender; strain.
- 2Set aside 1 cup puréed tunas, and reserve remaining 1/4 cup for Cactus-Lime-Butter Sauce.
- 3Combine 1 cup tempura mix and the achiote paste in a blender or food processor, and pulse until smooth.
- 4Place mixture in a medium-size bowl, add 1 cup puréed tunas, and mix well.
- 6Dust shrimp with cornstarch.
- 7Dip each shrimp individually into tempura-tuna batter, and fry in hot oil (375°) until golden brown, frying only 3-4 at a time.
- 8Drain well.
- 9For the Cactus-Lime-Butter Sauce: Combine wine, cilantro, and shallot in a heavy 2 quart saucepan.
- 10Cook over medium heat until wine is almost gone.
- 11While the wine is reducing, zest the lime; set zest aside.
- 12Juice the lime; set juice aside.
- 13When the wine has reduced to almost nothing, add lime zest, lime juice, and heavy cream, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- 14Lower heat, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 15Remove from heat for about 5 minutes.
- 16While the pot is still hot, slowly begin whisking in the butter, a tablespoon at a time, until smooth.
- 17Strain through a fine sieve.
- 18Keep sauce warm—if it becomes too cold or too hot, the sauce will separate, and you’ll have to begin the process again.
- 19Fold in the remaining 1/4 cup cactus fruit purée.
- 20Yield: Enough sauce for Cactus Shrimp.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cactus Shrimp With Cactus-lime-butter Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 839.9
- Calories from Fat 543
- Total Fat 60.4 g
- Saturated Fat 36.5 g
- Cholesterol 335.5 mg
- Sodium 206.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 26.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: