Recipe by Charlotte J
I've never eaten cactus before but this does not sound to bad.
Top Review by Golden Honey Dog
SO happy to have found this recipe. Sounds just like the cactus salad at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Like the idea of using scallions instead of white onions. Cactus is so yummy and low calorie!
- 4 large cactus pieces, paddles thorns and nodes removed
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 scallions
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil (reserve 1/3 cup oil)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sauteed
- 1⁄2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 chipotle chiles, drained & chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pare off edges of cactus paddles and slice into ¼ inch strips.
- Bring water, salt, and scallions to a boil.
- Drop in cactus strips and bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender.
- Drain and rinse.
- Combine vinegar, lime juice, oil, sun dried tomatoes, and oregano in separate bowl.
- Arrange cactus strips and sautéed onions on platter, pour vinegar mixture over salad, sprinkle cheese and chilies on top and serve.