Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I like this and use in tacos and Fajitas. Give it a try!
- 1 (15 ounce) jar cactus pieces, drained and well rinsed
- 1 ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 6 -8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican if you can find it)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 pickled jalapeno, diced
- If the cactus is in big chunks dice to 1/2-1/4 inch pieces.
- Toss together with the tomato, onion and cilantro.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss with the salad.
My partner only brought me back one bottle of cactus pieces from his trip to Las Vegas and am I ever glad we chose this recipe to use it in! It is very much like a fresh salsa and although we could have used it as a topping for tacos, we lapped it up as a side dish to our main Mexican meal. Thanks Di!
This recipe is very similar to my mom's, and she makes it all the time, especially for our special occasion barbecues, when we enjoy carne asada. If you are lucky enough to have fresh cactus pieces available, as we are, then you need to julienne, boil with salt, and drain them a couple of times to get rid of the sliminess. Then you can use them in this recipe. Chill this salad, and it is sooo refreshing!!
This was pretty good! Nice and quick easy! The kids gobbled in up. Thanks for sharing!