Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious twist on cornbread from the pages of Texas Monthly
- 3⁄4 cup diced nopalitos (about 2 medium cactus pads, cleaned of spines and glochids)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil or 1⁄4 cup melted shortening or 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup dripping
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel (fresh, canned, or thawed frozen are all fine)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Grease and flour an 8" square baking pan.
- Briefly cook nopalitos in boiling water with baking soda until they turn from bright to dull green.
- Drain well and set to the side.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add egg and milk; combine well.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Fold in corn kernels and pre-cooked nopalitos.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes (a wooden pick or knife inserted in center should come out clean).