Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Allrecipes, a taste of the desert!
- 4 cups prickly pear cactus or 4 cups nopales
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Select prickly pear cactus. Remove spines and outside layer(skin) with large knife(this can be bought already spined in stores).I found this at Walmart!. Cut pulp across in slices one-inch thick.
- Soak overnight in cold water. Remove from water, cut in 1" cubes and cook in boiling water til tender. Drain.
- Heat the sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Then add cactus. Cook slowly in the syrup until nearly all the syrup is absorbed. Do not scorch! Remove cactus from syrup, drain and roll in granulated or powdered sugar. For colored cactus candy, any vegetable food coloring may be added to the syrup.
This was a fun bonding experience with my dad but the "candy" was inedible. Despite all the sugar, the candy was not sweet tasting at all
I had to try this. I made only a small amount and it was interesting. Not something I would make regularly but I am glad I tried it.