Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This tender Portuguese stewed beef in a rich, flavorful red wine sauce is toooooo good! It's named after the clay pot in which the stew is cooked. The pot is typically soaked overnight, then the meat is cooked at very low heat for about 7 hours. This version takes less time, is very easy, and leftovers are wonderful (recipe is easily doubled). This can be served over rice or pasta, or with small boiled white potatoes. Prep time includes overnight marinating.
- The day before cooking, marinate meat with crushed red peppers in a plastic bag or covered dish, overnight.
- Place onion slices, parsley, garlic and bay leaf in the bottom of a large heavy Dutch oven.
- Place meat on top, dot with butter, and pour combined wine and tomato sauce over all.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over very low heat for 3 to 4 hours, until meat is very tender and sauce is thickened.
- Serve with pasta, rice or boiled white potatoes.