Recipe by diner524
This is posted for ZWT3. This is a recipe from Steven Raichlen. This is part dip and part salad served on hors d'oeuvre platters in Turkey. This is also known as tzatziki sauce in Greece.
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
- 1 seedless European cucumber (seedless) or 1 large regular cucumber
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint (or 1 tbs dried) or 3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped (or 1 tbs dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the cucumber and seed it, if necessary, then coarsely grate or finely chop it.
- Place the grated cucumber in a colander and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Let stand, over a bowl or in sink, for 20 minutes to drain off some of the excess water from the cucumber.
- Blot the cucumber dry with paper towels.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl.
- Stir in cucumber, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons of mint/dill, 1 tablespoon oil and pepper.
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt or pepper as necessary.
- To serve, drizzle with remaining tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle remaining tablespoon of mint/dill.
- Serve as a dip with wedges of fresh pita bread.