Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a traditional recipe from Cape Verde.
- 1⁄2 lb beef, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cubed
- 4 linguica sausage, sliced thinly
- 1 pork trotter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 small red potatoes, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- chili paste, to taste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 5 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup savoy cabbage, shredded
- 2 bay leaves
- Add the beef, bacon, sausages and pig trotter to a pot. Add oil and saute for 5 minutes. Add the red potatoes, garlic, onion, chilli paste, bayleaves and salt. Saute until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Add 1 cup white wine then cover the pot and reduce to a simmer. Check in 20 minutes. Add cup of water. Return to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, topping-up the water as necessary.
- Meanwhile add the corn and beans to a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook covered until the beans are tender (1 1/2 hour approx.). Transfer to a larger pot and add the meat mixture. Add a little more water, if necessary then bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes before adding the potatoes, cassava and cabbage.
- Cook for a further 25 minutes then take off the heat, allow to stand for 10 minutes and serve immediately.