Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted to the SCA_recipes LiveJournal community. Originally from the Forme of Cury, the oldest cookbook published in English.
- 1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 leeks, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- Combine all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
It's a very good cabbage soup, everything blended well together. I was afraid the cardamom might affect the taste for bad but 1/8 tsp wasn't much at all. Whew! DH wasn't fond of it though hence the 4 stars. These are also better eaten on the day itself. Thanks for sharing! Made for the PF's Belly Warmers.