Recipe by Sue Lau
Mexican tacos made with grilled firm fish. The tuna is yellowfin, not the kind you get from a can. You can serve these as prepared or with a cilantro cream sauce, if desired.
Top Review by lovelunarlight
Loved it! The marinade was really great. I wanted to add a little more moisture (because I accidentally overcooked the fish!), so I mixed up some mayonaise with salsa and chipotle sauce to dress the cabbage. Shredded some carrots in with the mixture too. It was delicious! Thanks!
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cabo wabo tequila
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano (dried)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb fresh yellowfin tuna fillet
- 20 corn tortillas
- 4 -5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large lime, sliced into 10 wedges
- 3 -4 chipotle chiles, canned,julienned (optional)
- 5 ounces fat-free crumbled feta or 5 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese or 5 ounces fat-free monterey jack cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together lime juice, tequila, mexican oregano, minced garlic, onion powder, ground cumin, and 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro in a small bowl.
- Place tuna fillet in a ziploc bag and pour marinade over fish.
- Remove excess air from bag and seal.
- Refrigerate for one hour, while you prepare your grill.
- Prepare grill by spraying grill surface with non-stick cooking spray BEFORE applying heat.
- Over medium-hot grill (gas, charcoal, electric) cook tuna, turning once, until cooked through (you may just cook on exterior if you prefer).
- (The cooking time will depend upon the thickness of your fillet; tuna can be eaten rare. I suggest a fillet that is slightly pink in the center so it flakes easily without being overdone. Do not overcook your fillet, however.) Set aside.
- Briefly heat corn tortillas carefully on grill.
- Do not overcook, or they will get hard.
- Break tuna into small chunks or shredded pieces and place about 1 1/2 ounces on a double layer of corn tortilla for each taco.
- Add shredded cabbage and chopped cilantro and squeeze a wedge of lime over the taco contents.
- If you wish a spicier taste, add the chilies.