Recipe by mersaydees
This is from the top trend "cool cocktails" article in Bon Appetit's January '03 issue. This is "one of the most popular drinks at Nob Hill, the Vegas outpost of noted San Francisco chef Michael Mina. Serve it with old-fashioned cheese straws, and bring cocktail hour back at your house."
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 cup ice cube
- 5 tablespoons spiced rum
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange Curacao
- 2 orange rind twists
Directions See How It's Made
- Chill two Martini glasses in freezer.
- Bring 1/4 cup water to boil in heavy small saucepan over high heat. Add 1/4 cup sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool sugar syrup completely.
- On small plate, stir remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon to blend.
- Rub rims of chilled glasses with lemon wedge. Dip rims into cinnamon sugar to coat lightly.
- Combine ice, rum, lemon juice, curacao, and 2 tablespoons sugar syrup in cocktail shaker (reserve remaining sugar syrup for another cocktail -- can keep in pantry for a couple of weeks).
- Shake mixture until cocktail shaker becomes frosty.
- Strain mixture into prepared glasses.
- Garnish with orange peel twists and serve.