Recipe by CabinKat
This is by far my families favorite lasagna recipe. I have been making it for over 15 years. It may seem complicated, but it's really not. You can use low fat ingredients in this recipe without losing flavor. I don't recommend non-fat and I don't recommend turkey pepperoni. I also use oven ready lasagna noodles.
Top Review by paigephr
this was excellent! the cream cheese made the cheese layer creamy and smooth. I doubled the recipe and used a 9x13 pan. I barely used 1/2 a box of noodles. It doesn't mention what to do with the mozzarella - I just layered it on top. I used LF cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream. It tasted wonderful! We will have this again.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (2 teaspoon) package beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (can use 1/3 less fat)
- 1 cup cottage cheese, small curd (can use low fat)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (can use less fat)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pepperoni slice
- 6 bell pepper rings, your color choice
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy skillet, add oil. Heat to med.-high, when hot add onions. Saute until golden, stirring occasionally. Add beef. When fully cooked, drain (if needed) and then add the next 7 ingredients. Do not add any cheeses.
- In separate bowl, add cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, 1 cup mozzarella, & eggs. Mix well, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º degrees.
- In 12 X 8 X 2 pan add a small amount of sauce to coat bottom lightly.
- Cover with one layer of lasagna noodles, then add layer of cheese mixture, enough to lightly cover noodles, then meat mixture, then pepperoni.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top. You may not need to use all noodles however. Do not add peppers.
- Cover and bake 1 hour. Bring out, carefully remove cover and add bell peppers.
- Cover back up and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- When done, bring out of oven, keep covered, and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Very important to let sit, covered.
- When time is up, cut and serve.
- Best with French bread or Artisan bread.