Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this delicious recipe in a Southern Living Cookbook that I made a few minor tweaks to. This is a crowd pleaser that is very filling. You can use Spicy Enchilada Sauce if you want to make it really spicy though we find the mild sauce gives it enough kick.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package mexican cheese
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package corn tortillas, cut into fourths
- Cook the first five ingredients in a large skillet. Drain grease and return to skillet.
- Add both the cans of soup, enchilada sauce and evaporated milk.
- Cook over low heat until mixture is warm and add the entire package of cheese stirring until the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 2 cups of the beef mixture in a lightly greased 13 X 9 baking dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the tortilla pieces.
- Repeat layers twice ending with the tortilla pieces on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- Top each serving with sour cream if desired.