Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Congressman Mike Thompson of California posted this recipe in one of the local papers from his grandmother. He strongly recommends that the red wine be cabernet sauvignon, but he says you can substitute a good zinfandel, if you insist
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice or 1 1⁄2 cups carnaroli rice
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- 5 -6 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and minced
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, more to taste (4 ounces)
- kosher salt
- fresh black pepper
- Heat the butter and olive oil together in a large saucepan over low heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic, and saute until transparent, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the rice, and stir with a wooden spoon until each grain begins to turn a milky white, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, and continue to stir until it is completely absorbed by the rice.
- Keeping the stock hot over low heat, add the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until nearly all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue to add stock and stir until the rice is tender but not mushy, a total of 18-20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cheese, taste again, and season with salt, pepper, and if you like, more cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Excellent recipe, Tish, very different from the usual risotto, which calls for a white wine. The cab gave it a rich, robust taste with a very pretty color, which would make it a very special dish to serve on Valentine's Day or some other occasion. Unfortunately, I did not have oil packed sun dried tomatoes on hand, and had to use fresh diced, which I'm sure changed the flavor, but will buy these so I can make this dish again. Also, thank you for your detailed, clear instructions.
My first risotto, and I loved both the flavor and the amazing color! Thanx for this recipe :-)
This was really, really good. I didn't add the sun dried tomatoes, though. I did everything else as instructed and it turned out great. The family loved it. This will be a regular at special and holiday meals at my house.