Meredith .F's Note:
From Bon Appetit 10/07......... I followed the recipe exactly and the combination of the short ribs, creamy gorgonzola polenta and gremolata made a fabulous meal. Made the ribs the day before to make it easier to skim the fat. So much of the meal can be made ahead of time that it really makes for an easy prep the day of a dinner party. For what to drink-Bon Appetit suggests: Stick with Cabernet and try a selection. Two we love are the rich, ripe 2005 Blend No. 815 from Joel Gott (Sonoma, $17) and the 2004 Cabernet from Columbia Winery with black cherry flavors and a velvety texture (Washington, $15).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -9 lbs beef short ribs, meaty
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (750 ml) bottles cabernet sauvignon wine
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
For Gorgonzola polenta
- 5 cups low-fat chicken broth (or more)
- 1 3/4 cups polenta (coarse cornmeal)
- 3/4 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
For Mixed-Herb Gremolata
- 1Gorgonzola Polenta & Mixed-Herb Gremolata Preparation Planning tip:.
- 2With its various elements, this dish lends itself well to team cooking. Seasoning the meat ahead, making the gremolata, browning the ribs, and deglazing the pan are separate steps that allow everyone to take turns. But if you'd prefer to work ahead, the short ribs will taste JUST AS GOOD a day later. Either way, you're golden.
- 3Arrange ribs in single layer in 15x10x2- inch glass baking dish. Mix rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper in small bowl; sprinkle all over ribs. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.
- 4Preheat oven to 375°F Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy wide ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add ribs to pot and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch, adding more oil to pot by tablespoonfuls as needed. Transfer ribs to large bowl. Pour off drippings from pot; discard. Add wine to pot and bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot; bring to boil. Cover; transfer to oven and braise until meat is very tender and almost falling off bones, about 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.
- 5Bring to simmer before continuing. Using slotted spoon, transfer ribs to large bowl; cover tightly to keep warm. Skim any fat from top of braising liquid. Boil liquid until reduced to 2 generous cups, about 20 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour with fork in small bowl until well blended. Whisk butter mixture into reduced braising liquid. Whisk over medium-high heat until sauce thickens very slightly, about 2 minutes.
- 6Divide Gorgonzola Polenta among plates. Top with ribs and sauce. Sprinkle with Mixed-Herb Gremolata and serve.
- 7To make Gorgonzola Polenta: Bring 5 cups of chicken broth to boil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Gradually add polenta, whisking constantly. Return mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until polenta is tender, stirring frequently and adding more chicken broth by 1/4-cupfuls if polenta is too thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add Gorgonzola and cream; stir until cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8To make Mixed-Herb Gremolata: Mix parsley, lemon peel, garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme in small bowl. Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs With Gorgonzola Polenta and Mixed-He
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2184.0
- Calories from Fat 1641
- Total Fat 182.4 g
- Saturated Fat 79.0 g
- Cholesterol 375.4 mg
- Sodium 1306.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 70.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth