Recipe by Maryland Jim
This is another recipe from the 1983 Southern Living Cookbook. To me this is real comfort food.
Top Review by Marsha Mazz
Spasiba! This was truly great Russian tasting comfort food. I served the cabbage recipe over egg noodles. And, to include all the Russian National Vegetables in one meal, we had beets and a cucumber salad as sides. My boys (born in Russia) loved it all. I did cook the sausage in a bit of water for a couple of minutes before adding them - that way, I removed some of the fat.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in butter in a Dutch oven over low heat until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add water and vinegar; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.