Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another recipe from the 1983 Southern Living Cookbook. To me this is real comfort food.
Make and share this Cabbage With Polish Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Sauté onion in butter in a Dutch oven over low heat until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add water and vinegar; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Spasiba! This was truly great Russian tasting comfort food. I served the cabbage recipe over egg noodles. And, to include all the Russian National Vegetables in one meal, we had beets and a cucumber salad as sides. My boys (born in Russia) loved it all. I did cook the sausage in a bit of water for a couple of minutes before adding them - that way, I removed some of the fat.
I have never taken the time to write a review, but I cannot stop eating this! Simple, easy and very good.
I was really happy with the result of this recipe. I searched for a different way to serve some cabbage and sausage instead of the boring same ol taste. I tried this and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I loved the taste and I used a really sweet onion and it brought out the flavor even more. I boiled my cabbage in chicken broth and it took any bitterness out of the cabbage too. I recommend this recipe. I loved it.