Recipe by Engrossed
Adapted from: 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. Great book! I really enjoyed this made mild but would increase the spices. If you like it hot but don't have fresh peppers, use crushed red pepper flakes.
Top Review by MrsMM
This is a great vegetarian curry. We had it as our main dish, but would make a good side in an Indian spread. I used the max amount of spices stated-- and glad I did. I might have even heaped some of the teaspoons. I would likely fry the cumin seeds separately next time, along with the chilis, and then add the powder spices. Also- small tip from my mom on cabbage curries: When cooking cabbage- stir once to coat cabbage and then leave it to wilt on it's own without stirring. This somehow keeps the sweet cabbage juices within the cabbage, making for a more flavorful dish at the end. I recommend this dish to anyone who likes Indian food, cabbage and paneer! I will be having leftovers for lunch. Thanks Engrossed!
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 fresh Thai red chili peppers (optional) or 2 cayenne chilies (optional) or 2 serrano chilies, cut in half lengthwise and don't remove the seeds (optional)
- 1 lb cabbage, cut into thin shreds
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- 8 ounces panir, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped including stems
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
- Mix spices together and cook in oil until fragrant and cumin seeds turn a reddish brown.
- Stir in cabbage and toss to coat it with the spices, cook until slightly wilted 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, tomato, paneer, and cilantro. Lower heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and the cheese is spongy-soft (10-15 minutes). *The sauce will not thicken.
- Serve immediately.