Recipe by Derf
Tasty side dish from French Country Kitchen - Ann Hughes-Gilbey
Top Review by Miss Annie
Wonderful! I'm always looking for different ways to cook cabbage for my kielbassa sausage dinner. So easy to make, and the flavors are wonderful together. Super good. I will add this one to my T&T book. Thanks Dorothy!
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.) or 1 head white cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon meat drippings (we use the oil) or 1 tablespoon bacon drippings (we use the oil) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (we use the oil)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper (as much as you wish)
- caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the cabbage, discarding the outside leaves and the stock.
- Plunge it into boiling salted water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, drain and press out all moisture.
- Sweat the onions in the fat or oil, when transparent, turn up the heat to brown slightly.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until coloured a little more, then incorporate the cabbage, reheat.
- Sprinkle lightly with caraway seed, if desired, when serving.