Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tasty side dish from French Country Kitchen - Ann Hughes-Gilbey
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.) or 1 head white cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon meat drippings (we use the oil) or 1 tablespoon bacon drippings (we use the oil) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (we use the oil)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper (as much as you wish)
- caraway seed
- Shred the cabbage, discarding the outside leaves and the stock.
- Plunge it into boiling salted water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, drain and press out all moisture.
- Sweat the onions in the fat or oil, when transparent, turn up the heat to brown slightly.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until coloured a little more, then incorporate the cabbage, reheat.
- Sprinkle lightly with caraway seed, if desired, when serving.
Wonderful! I'm always looking for different ways to cook cabbage for my kielbassa sausage dinner. So easy to make, and the flavors are wonderful together. Super good. I will add this one to my T&T book. Thanks Dorothy!
Very tasty, very easy to make, and great to have another recipe for cabbage. Thank you
I cut the recipe back to two servings. I didn't precook the cabbage Only light spray of no fat oil, put the raw cabbage & onions in my cast iron pan medium heat covered with tight lid, stirred every couple of minutes after about 15 minutes I added 1 tsp Splenda brown sugar & 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds The cabbage and onions were wonderful