Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adaptation of the classic south indian dish Muttakos Poriyal. It's quick and easy to make and has an excellent lightly sweet taste from coconut and mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium head of cabbage (cored and finely shredded)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 fresh, hot green chilies (, , cut into long thin strips)
- 1⁄3 cup grated desiccated coconut
- First heat the mustard oil in a wok (or large frying pan).
- When the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds and bay leaves.
- When mustard seeds turn gray and start popping (a few seconds) add the cabbage, salt and sugar.
- Quickly toss the cabbage in the oil until its lightly coated with oil and add coconut, green chili and optional pepper flakes.
- Keep stirring for 2-5 minutes until the cabbage turns bright green and slightly wilted (but still somewhat crunchy).
- Serve with Basmati rice.
- Note: this dish is also excellent with Brussels sprouts or green beans instead of the cabbage.
I made this for my girlfriend and two vegetarian friends. My friends really, really liked it and asked for the recipe. My girlfriend, who is not as adventurous an eater, hesitated at the coconut and cabbage combo....but she ate it and she loved it! I'm certainly gonna make it again and pass on the recipe as well. Thanks! This site is awesome. (Oh, I thought the dish was excellent also!)
AMAZING CREATION! What a lovely way to enjoy cabbage, light and tasty, crispy and addictive, I truly, madly, deeply fell in love with this dish while making it as well as when I tasted it. I did use 1 tsp. red chilli powder as well as the green chillies, so it was a bit on the spicy side, but still, it has become my favourite on Zaar day n I'm sure going to make it a 100 zillion times every year as long as I live!! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, U MADE MY DAY!
This is yummy! I've been eyeing this recipe for a while and finally got around to making it today. It took almost no time to prepare and is delicious. I didn't have green chilies so I used a few jalapeno peppers, otherwise no changes, though I'll be trying the coriander, etc. suggested by others, for variety. Thanks, I'll be sure to make this often.