Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is one we'll be using for an upcoming week of menu planning. I always make meat sauce in large batches and freeze it, so I'll be using what I have on hand, so if you don't like the sound of this one, feel free to substitute your favorite. Prep time/cooking time is for the recipe as written.
- 453.59 g bulk pork sausage
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml tomato juice
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml butter
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion until the sausage is browned; drain.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 1 hour.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven; saute cabbage over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with the meat sauce.
This reminded me so much of cabbage rolls without all of the work. I used lean turkey italian sausage and other than adding a clove of garlic & a pinch of sugar followed the recipe. The sauce thickened nicely, was mild, but flavorful, and paired well with the cabbage. Made for the July Comfort Cafe Event.
This is almost like an "unstuffed" cabbage dish. It's really tasty. I used lean turkey sausage and V-8 juice for the tomato juice. This is wonderful by itself, but if you wanted a side dish, anything from potatoes to noodles to rice would work. Thanx for posting!