Recipe by bunkie68
This is one we'll be using for an upcoming week of menu planning. I always make meat sauce in large batches and freeze it, so I'll be using what I have on hand, so if you don't like the sound of this one, feel free to substitute your favorite. Prep time/cooking time is for the recipe as written.
Top Review by Susie D
This reminded me so much of cabbage rolls without all of the work. I used lean turkey italian sausage and other than adding a clove of garlic & a pinch of sugar followed the recipe. The sauce thickened nicely, was mild, but flavorful, and paired well with the cabbage. Made for the July Comfort Cafe Event.
- 453.59 g bulk pork sausage
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml tomato juice
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml butter
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion until the sausage is browned; drain.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 1 hour.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven; saute cabbage over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with the meat sauce.