Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Maya Angelou recipe. I love cooked cabbage and the crunch of the water chestnuts really does make this dish special. We serve with cornbread muffins.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 -6 cups cabbage, cut into large bite sized pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Saute the onion, bell pepper and celery in the oil until translucent but not brown.
- Add cabbage and water, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add water chestnut slices to cabbage.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook 10 more minutes.