Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very hearty, homestyle type of soup that is perfect for a snowy winter day. As an option, you can also add pieces of sliced kielbasa to make it more meaty.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled,and chopped small
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- Saute onions in mixture of butter and oil in soup pot for 3 minutes.
- Add carrot and celery and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add caraway seeds and cook one additional minute, until seeds become fragrant.
- Add cabbage, water, sugar and tomatoes to pot, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add beans and vinegar, and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes more, or until beans are hot.
- Stir in parsley just before serving, if desired.
Lots of healthy ingredients in this soup! I was eager to try it but disappointed that it is on the sour side. I added in some sliced Bocca smoked "sausage," and I noticed in step 2 celery is mentioned but it's not in the ingredient list. Since I didn't have any I didn't use any. At the end I only added about 1 tsp. of the vinegar. I wound up doctoring it up with more brown sugar, black pepper and some Pickapeppa Sauce make it more to our liking. The end result was just OK.