Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a variation of a recipe for Elzekaria that I have.
Make and share this Cabbage & White Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Soak beans for 8 hours the day before or while at work.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot around medium high temperature.
- Add bacon. Salt and pepper a little. Let cook until bacon begins to caramelize.
- Add garlic. Let cook until garlic begins to smell. You may allow some pieces of garlic to lightly caramelize, but do not let all garlic brown. If you haven't already, turn heat down to medium or even medium low depending on how fast the garlic is cooking.
- Add 1/4 cup of the white wine vinegar to break up any fats stuck to the bottom of the stock pot.
- Add cabbage and stir until cabbage is coated with oil. You may want to add cabbage and stir in sections to make sure all cabbage gets coated. Salt and pepper as cabbage is getting coated.
- Add the beans and continue to stir and get everything coated.
- Cover contents with as much water as it takes to coat everything in the stock pot. Add the rest of the white wine vinegar.
- Turn heat back up to medium high and bring to a boil. Let boil for a few minutes and then cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until beans and cabbage are both cooked through. Depending on how waterey you want the soup, you can add more water if you want. Watch the pot as it cooks and skim any bubbles off the top as they show up. Do not stir bubbles back inches.
- Serve hot.