1/1 Photo of Cabbage Wedges With Cheese Sauce
We celebrate St Patrick's Day with a big meal each year and cabbage usually plays some part in the feast. One year, a guest brought this cabbage dish to share and it was a big hit. She originally found the recipe in an issue of Taste of Home magazine. The chili sauce called for in this recipe is not particularly spicy (although hot versions are also sold) and is usually sold in a bottle in the ketchup aisle in US supermarkets. The brand I most often have used is Heinz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head green cabbage (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 3 tablespoons bottled chili sauce
- 1Cut cabbage into 8 wedges, leaving a bit of the core on each to help hold eachpiece together.
- 2Bring a pot of water to boil and steam cabbage wedges, covered, until crisp-tender, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- 3Drain and remove the core, then set wedges in a greased 9x13" casserole.
- 4For the sauce, in a medium pot, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender.
- 5Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring quickly, and cook until it gets bubbly.
- 6Add milk slowly, whisking, then cook and stir until sauce thickens.
- 7Pour over cabbage.
- 8Bake, uncovered, at 375 F for 15 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, mix together cheese,mayo, and chili sauce; ladle over the cabbage wedges and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Wedges With Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.9
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 38.7 mg
- Sodium 544.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g