Recipe by Bergy
This is a very tasty way to serve cabbage mixed with the celery. Do not over cook the veggies you want to have a crunch left. I often do this dish ahead and just pop it in the oven 25 minutes before dinner. I cut the soup back to 1/4 cup but it depends how saucy you like things
Top Review by Derf
Hey Bergy, ya done it again!! This is a wonderful recipe, it immediately became a DH favourite, couldn't stop eating it. Lots of taste and lots of crunch. Didn't have any veggie bouillion cubes so used chicken stock for that and for the water to cook the cabbage in. It worked out just fine. We just happened to have some jalepino Havarti cheese, so I used it for a change from cheddar. Really loved the crunch from the waterchestnuts and the dry fried noodles on top. We will be making this often, can hardly wait to eat up the leftovers tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the best!!
- 3 cups celery, sliced on the diagonal 3/4 inch slices
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup boiling water, with
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (use beef cube if you wish)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 4 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained & sliced
- 3 tablespoons red peppers, cut into 1 inch thin slices
- 3⁄4 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated (use mild or other cheese if you prefer or leave out)
- 1 cup chow mein noodles (dry fried)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water and veggie cube in a saucepan add celery and cover simmer for 8 minutes (celery should still be crisp).
- Save a 3/4 cup of the liquid, drain the rest.
- Cook the cabbage in 1/2 cup of water for 4 minutes, drain thoroughtly.
- Mix the celery water with the soup& onions.
- Season to taste.
- Toss together the cabbage, celery, red pepper& water chestnuts.
- Mix with the soup mixture and pour into a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top (omit cheese is you want to cut back on calories but it does give a nice finish& great flavor).
- Sprinkle on the Chow Mein noodles.
- Bake uncovered in 375f oven for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly& golden.