Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is an idea I came up with one St. Patrick's day. I had invited a small army, and was having a heck of a time trying to get through the crowd. I think this was the only time that I can remember that everyone to showed up, plus some. Anyway, I was trying to make an appetizer tray, and I just decided to use those frilly toothpicks and just stick everything on the head of cabbage! It was so beautiful! And, not being one to waste, I cut the cabbage up and cooked it. The dinner was a hit, and I got raves on the appetizer cabbage! The amounts are guesstimated. You can actually just take the idea and make up your own tree. Just put things that you like on it.
- 2 large green cabbage
- 200 frilly toothpicks
- 25 cheddar cheese cubes (1 inch cubes)
- 25 monterey jack cheese cubes (1 inch cubes)
- 25 large stuffed green olives
- 25 cherry tomatoes
- 25 pieces dill pickles (1 inch chunks)
- 25 small cocktail onions
- 25 radishes, cleaned and trimmed
- 25 pieces sweet pickles (1 inch chunks)
- Cut the cheddar cheese, jack cheese, sweet pickles, and dill pickles into 1-inch cubes.
- Using the frilly toothpicks, push each piece of appetizer onto the frilly toothpick.
- Next, push each toothpick into the cabbage, making sure that the cubes of food stay on the toothpick.
- You can make this up ahead of time, just keep it refrigerated.
- The toothpicks can be removed, rinsed and cooked.
- Note: Be careful if giving this appetizer to a small child. A child can get a toothpick caught in their throats, especially when running.
Great idea to carry to a picnic, using one half a cabbage so it stays flat, easy to carry in a bowl, easy to chill in ice. It would be a keeper to serve at a potluck too.