Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a delicious reason to eat this nutrient rich vegetable! Serve this with rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the mustard seeds.
- Lower the heat and cover the skillet while the seeds are popping.
- After the popping has stopped, add the cabbage.
- Stir well to coat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, chili powder if desired, coconut and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Serve warm.
- Variation: To make Vegetable Toran, replace the cabbage with 6 cups frozen mixed vegetables.
- Proceed with recipe.
This is an exceptional way to serve cabbage, and we enjoyed it. Used all the spices and wouldn't change a thing. Could use a bit less simmering time as it became dry. Thanks for posting, Sharon.
Delicious! Didn't have turmeric on hand so used curry. Used full three tablespoons of organic unsweetened coconut so wonderful coconut flavor. Went with chili powder option and it blended very nicely. Cooking time less as others have experienced. Even better next day. Thank you for sharing this winner Sharon123
Really brings out the fresh taste of cabbage! Just added a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.