Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A short recipe clipping that I've saved.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- low-fat sour cream, for garnish
- Saute olive oil in a heavy soup pot.
- Saute onion and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is limp.
- Sprinkle flour over cabbage and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, caraway seeds, chicken broth, honey,pepper, and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sour cream.
I do not recommend putting caraway seed in this soup unless you love the flavor. I definitely would not put one tablespoon like the recipe calls for. I'm now trying to figure out how to make that strong flavor go away.
This was the best cabbage soup I've ever tasted. Hubby raved about it! I used fresh tomatoes. I omitted the flour b/c I like thinner soups, added 2 pressed cloves of garlic in the sauteing onion phase, used far less caraway seed but added some fresh thyme, and cooked it for longer (till cabbage was nice and tender). I served with some freshly grated Romano cheese on top. It was very tasty!
Very easy to make. I forgot to add the tomato juice so the cabbage taste was strong. All the kids liked this and most asked for seconds. The next day I added some tomato juice in with my soup and it tasted much butter. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup