This soup is inexpensive, easy, totally customizable, super healthy and, most importantly, really good. I have served it with crusty bread or a big scoop of brown rice right in the middle of the bowl. Also great with sour cream and hot sauce. Yum.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 113.39 g tomato paste
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 425.24 g crushed tomatoes (big can)
- 1182.95 ml beef broth
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- saute the onion in the olive oil for five minutes in a big pot.
- add the garlic and saute for another three minutes. stir well.
- add the celery and carrots and saute for five more minutes. stir well.
- add the tomato paste, chili powder, basil, oregano and salt and pepper. stir well. saute for a few minutes until the mixtures gets very fragrant.
- add the crushed tomatoes, beef broth and cabbage. bring to a boil. stir well and let simmer for twenty minutes or until the veggies are cooked to your liking. enjoy!
I followed the directions exactly. We like cabbage soup made with ham and a ham bone, however, the soup was tasty and the broth was delicious. It was delicious with crusty bread sopping up the juices.