Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
this comes from a vegetable cookbook
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs chuck steaks or 3 lbs round steaks, cut in 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 large cabbage, cut in 6-8 wedges
- Combine flour, salt, paprika, mustard and pepper.
- Coat steak well on all sides with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Brown steak well on both sides.
- Pour off excess drippings if necessary.
- Add broth and onions to meat.
- Cover and simmer slowly about 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add enough water if necessary to bring liquid level up to 1/2 inch.
- Arrange cabbage wedges around meat.
- Cover and let simmer 10-15 mins or til cabbage is just tender.