Recipe by Sharlene~W
Tasty and nutritious A great dish to warm the tummy in the winter!
Top Review by Andrea
Fixed this for dinner tonight and the family all agreed it is one we definitely want to have again. I mixed up the recipe and put all the onions in the broth at the beginning and had none left to mix with the meat. It was still excellent. Try a little spoonful of sour cream on the top when served--yummy.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 head green cabbage (3 -4 pound head)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄3 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup ground lean pork
- 1 cup cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine half the onion and garlic, all of the carrot and 1 cup of stock in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Add remaining stock, the wine, tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Simmer over very low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage rolls.
- Put the whole head of cabbage in a large pot of boiling water.
- Boil for about 5 minutes until leaves are loosened.
- Remove cabbage and carefully peel off 12 leaves.
- Return these to the boiling water and cook until soft, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from pot and drain carefully so they remain whole.
- Chop enough of the remaining cabbage to make 1 cup.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add remaining onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon thyme and the marjoram and stir briefly.
- Combine this mixture with the ground meats, rice, and chopped cabbage.
- To this add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
- Form meat mixture into 12 ovals.
- Cut large rib from each of the 12 cabbage leaves.
- Put 1 meat oval on each leaf and roll up half way.
- Fold 2 ends in and finish rolling Place in large casserole dish.
- Cover with tomato sauce mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour.